Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin, Vicoprofen, and others);
- morphine (Kadian, MS Contin, Oramorph, and others); or
- naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve, Anaprox, and others).
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with gabapentin. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Medications known to interact with gabapentin
- acetaminophen / propoxyphene
- aspirin / caffeine / propoxyphene
- Balacet (acetaminophen / propoxyphene)
- Belbuca (buprenorphine)
- Bunavail (buprenorphine / naloxone)
- Buprenex (buprenorphine)
- buprenorphine / naloxone
- Butrans (buprenorphine)
- Darvocet A500 (acetaminophen / propoxyphene)
- Darvocet-N 100 (acetaminophen / propoxyphene)
- Darvocet-N 50 (acetaminophen / propoxyphene)
- Darvon (propoxyphene)
- Darvon Compound 32 (aspirin / caffeine / propoxyphene)
- Darvon Compound-65 (aspirin / caffeine / propoxyphene)
- Darvon-N (propoxyphene)
- levomethadyl acetate
- Orlaam (levomethadyl acetate)
- PC-CAP (aspirin / caffeine / propoxyphene)
- PP-Cap (propoxyphene)
- Propacet 100 (acetaminophen / propoxyphene)
- Propoxyphene Compound 65 (aspirin / caffeine / propoxyphene)
- sodium oxybate
- Suboxone (buprenorphine / naloxone)
- Subutex (buprenorphine)
- Trycet (acetaminophen / propoxyphene)
- Wygesic (acetaminophen / propoxyphene)
- Xyrem (sodium oxybate)
- Zubsolv (buprenorphine / naloxone)
Gabapentin oral capsule can interact with several other medications. Different interactions can cause different effects. For instance, some can interfere with how well a drug works, while others can cause increased side effects.
Below is a list of medications that can interact with gabapentin. This list does not contain all drugs that may interact with gabapentin.
Before taking gabapentin, be sure to tell your doctor and pharmacist about all prescription, over-the-counter, and other drugs you take. Also tell them about any vitamins, herbs, and supplements you use. Sharing this information can help you avoid potential interactions.
If you have questions about drug interactions that may affect you, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
When used with gabapentin, certain pain drugs can increase its side effects, such as tiredness. Examples of these drugs include:
Stomach acid drugs
When used with gabapentin, certain drugs used to treat stomach acid problems can reduce the amount of gabapentin in your body. This can make it less effective. Taking gabapentin 2 hours after taking these drugs can help prevent this problem. Examples of these drugs include:
- aluminum hydroxide
- magnesium hydroxide